The dot Net Application Development platform is a software development programme that was developed by Microsoft. It is a flexible, powerful, and adaptable framework that can be applied in a wide array of uses. The dot Net framework is a complex framework that many find hard to interact with. This is mainly because you not only need to learn the language that consists of C# and VB Net but also one ought to understand the basic principles of object oriented programming. These concepts are basically the same with the differences only occurring in syntax. This article aims at focusing on some of the tips and common pitfalls in the dot Net Application Development platform and how developers can use the information to their advantage.
5 Must Do’s In .Net Application Development
Using the following tips, a developer will be at a better position to understand the working process of this platform and will therefore be more productive and effective in the world of app development. Some of these tips include:
- Creating a plan prior to Coding-It is common knowledge that planning is a vital step in our everyday lives. This is because through planning, individuals are able to have a better approach to problems that face them. It also ensures that people have all the necessary resources that are meant to aid them to complete the various tasks. In this case, creating a good plan before writing the code ensures that there is a rigid organization which in turn facilitates the success of the whole process. As such, through planning, one is able to identify every component of the application. For instance, through proper planning, one is able to identify the needs of each particular class such as customer class, supplier class, or other classes of various stakeholders.
- Maintaining Variable Naming Schemes-In this, it all narrows down to whether a developer is creating a code for themselves or for a client. If it is for a client, it is basic that the developer should follow the script of the client in the naming of the variables. If it is personal projects, the developer should also strive to keep the naming schemes constant. There are some common rules that should be followed in this and they include: prefixing the private variables with this character (_), utilizing camel case in method variables, using verbs for methods such as ‘send Mail’, and using a standard case for class property variables. Although these rules apply in most of the time, it is always prudent to ask for the coding standards documentation of the clients so as to avoid cases of repetition or the lack of satisfaction.
- Separating various layers-A good coding process in the dot Net Application Development will require layers. For instance, it is a requirement that in this platform a developer should at least have a presentation and data layer. Moreover, most of the software design processes will call for a presentation layer, a data layer, and a business logic layer. Breaking down on these layers, the presentation layer consists of what the client normally sees, the data layer is essential for the database methods while the business logic layer will be for the various needs by the business. The main reason for layering is that as a developer, one is able to operate on one layer without affecting the other layers considering all these layers work differently and for different purposes. However, they complement each after the whole application is complete.
- Maintaining an error log-Whenever a developer is creating an application, there is a need for an adequate logging solution. The term logging solution refers to the process that enables a developer to identify errors in an application before the end users do. In other instances, it is the users that will identify the flaws and report to the developer. The developer then responds by finding the underlying cause and creating an effective solution. Reproducing a user error can be time-consuming and tedious, However, on the dot Net Application Development platform, there is an internal logging system that allows the developers to write errors to the windows event viewer. Through this, both the developer and the system administrator are able to search for the errors exhibited by the application under development on the server. The administrator and developer are therefore able to find the specific error without the need of trying to reproduce it in the application development environment. Additionally, the platform allows developers to create their own separate login.Net. Through this, all the errors of the application under development will be logged to a specific category at the event viewer. The end result is that the custom software errors are separated from software errors of other categories or applications.
- Using the Database-One of the basic requirements of a good web application is a database. In the dot Net Application Development platform, a commonly used database and server is the Microsoft SQL server. The reason behind this is that this server plugs into the platform easily. However, it does not necessarily mean that developers in the dot Net platform are tied to Microsoft SQL server. There are tonnes of other solutions such as Oracle and MySQL on the internet. A point worth noting in the use of databases is that a developer should plan out their database layout. This is because the database forms a vital organ of the application development. If proper planning is not conducted, the developer risks crippling the application development. Additionally, the developer should be keen to look at factors such as redundancy, normalization, and the backup plans.
The dot Net Application Development framework forms the basis for Windows software development. Although this platform can be complex and challenging to new developers, following the above tips will ensure a smooth transition while at the same time enable a developer to understand the ins and outs of the platform. As such, this platform is one of the easiest to learn for dedicated developers who are committed to excellence.
Check out our blog on the Visual Studio development platform.